The North Texas Conference’s Committee on Lay Servant Ministries and the Board of Laity are jointly hosting the fourth annual conference-wide laity event from 9 a.m. to 2:15 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 18 at Aldersgate UMC, 3926 Old Denton Rd., in Carrollton.
This year’s timely topic is “Listening for ‘The Way Forward.’ ” A special-called General Conference will take place February 23-26, 2019, in St. Louis that will address petitions related to The United Methodist Church’s positions on human sexuality. This event will be an opportunity to learn more about the proposed legislation that will be considered by the General Conference.
Some highlights of the program will include:
- the role of the Laity in the process
- an overview of the proposed legislation
- voices from the North Texas delegation to the special conference
- conversations from around the conference over lunch
- a time for individuals to express their hopes, interests and apprehensions about the impact the differing proposals that will be considered
This laity-sponsored event is open to the entire church, both clergy and laity. The cost is $20, which includes lunch.